As a vehicle owner, there are many factors to consider, which could have a drastic impact on the lifespan of your vehicle, which include, but are not limited to, improper maintenance and care.
Here are some ways in which you could be shortening the lifespan of your vehicle:
- Driving on damaged road surfaces: Unfortunately, the conditions of our roads aren’t always favourable due to pothole damage. By driving with caution (at a reduced speed) over damaged road surfaces, you can ensure that your vehicle’s lifespan doesn’t become drastically affected.
- Improper tyre alignment: Keeping your tyres aligned can make a difference to your vehicle’s performance. Improper alignment can cause imbalance. Did you know that keeping your tyres aligned can positively impact your vehicle’s fuel economy?
- Not driving your vehicle: Did you know that leaving your vehicle in your garage for long periods of time will damage your vehicle. The battery can die, and the gaskets will dry. This is why it’s important to take your vehicle out once in a while.
- Driving hard: Unknowingly, we often put a heavy foot on the brakes, damaging the pads and rotors. Consistent damage means that components will need regular repair and replacement. Therefore, you should avoid putting heavy pressure on your brakes.
- Running the vehicle on empty: A blinking fuel light is a signal you should not ignore. Re-fuel your vehicle as soon as possible. Ignoring this signal and continuing to drive can damage your vehicle’s engine. Dust particles, dirt and debris can get stuck in your fuel tank, severely damage your vehicle’s lifespan.
- Using incorrect or discount parts and fluids: You might be regularly maintaining your vehicle. This is great; however, using cheaper or substandard or even incorrect parts and fluids could cause serious damage to your vehicle.
- Regular oil changes require using the correct-viscosity oil that you can find at a professional mechanic or even at a petrol station. Spark plugs should have the correct heat range. Fuel and air filters should be name-brand, original-equipment equivalent or better, not just the lowest-priced item you can find.
Keeping your vehicle well maintained and in a meticulous running condition, can become a costly expense if you don’t have vehicle warranty cover.
At African Independent Brokers, we have vehicle warranty cover to suite your needs and your pocket. Give us a call, and one of our friendly consultants will assist you with a quote.
Telephone: 0861 001 002
African Independent Brokers (Pty) Ltd (Registration Number 2012/010479/07) is an Authorised Financial Services Provider (FSP38159)