It’s always important to revisit the basics of road safety from time to time. South Africa still has a long way to go when it comes to reducing the number of fatal incidents on our roads.
- Always buckle up:
- A seatbelt should be worn at all times by both the driver and the passengers. South African law demands that all children under the age of three should be secured in a car seat.
- Wearing a seatbelt can greatly reduce the chance of death or serious injury. It doesn’t matter if you’re going to the shop around the corner, you should ALWAYS wear your seatbelt.
- Respect the rules of the road:
- The rules of the road are in place to promote safety for everyone. Ignoring these rules puts you and others at risk
- Obey the speed limit:
- It is a well-known fact that by reducing your vehicle speed, you can drastically reduce the fatalities on our roads.
- Check your tyres:
- Worn out tyres can pose a dangerous risk to you and others if they are severely damaged – they could burst or deflate
- Always check your tyres for wear and tear, make sure they are inflated correctly and always have a spare ready for use (make sure that the spare is also correctly inflated).
- Drive sober:
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Drunken driving is extremely dangerous and illegal. This puts not only your life in danger but that of everyone else around you.
- Pay attention:
- Distracted driving leads to less focus on the road this is extremely dangerous. Put your cell phone away and focus on the road.
- There is no text message or call that is more important than your life or the lives of your passengers and fellow road users.
- Stop when you are tired:
- Driving while tired can be compared to driving while drunk.
- If you are tired, stop and rest. It is advised that drivers should stop and rest at least every 200km.
- Wear a helmet:
- If you are on a motorcycle or bicycle, be sure to always wear a helmet.
- Be courteous and considerate:
- Courteous and considerate behaviour should be a “given”.
Accidents do happen, though! Are you covered? If you need vehicle insurance – please contact us for a quote. One of our friendly consultants are standing by to assist you with your insurance needs.
Contact us for a quote, today!
Telephone: 0861 001 002
African Independent Brokers (Pty) Ltd (Registration number 2012/010479/07) is an authorised financial services provider (FSP38159), Underwritten by Dotsure Limited (Registration number 2006/000723/06), an authorised financial services provider (FSP39925). Copyright © African Independent Brokers (Pty) Ltd – All rights reserved.