Vehicle theft is an unfortunate reality in South Africa, as of August 2020, the SAPS reported 18 162 cases, that equates to 50 cars being stolen in South Africa every day. It is a terribly stressful feeling when you return to your vehicle, in the parking area, only to find that it is no longer there!
By choosing the correct cover from your insurer, this can alleviate some of the stress in the case of vehicle theft.
As your insurance broker, we’re here to help relieve that stress, by providing you with some tips in the event that your vehicle is stolen. Here is what you should do:
- Make use of your vehicle tracker: notify your tracking company immediately.
- Report the incident to the police immediately. They will assign you a case number which you can use to begin lodging a claim with your insurer. Include important information such as: where your vehicle was last parked, the make & model, the registration & VIN number (if on hand).
- Call your insurer. As soon as you have informed the police about the theft, and a case number was provided; you should contact your insurer to give them an update on the situation, you should provide them with:
- a list and description of any valuables that were in your vehicle: such as a laptop or any other electronic equipment, workout gear, textbooks, tools, or any portable possessions that are listed on your policy document (if you had these items specified as part of your policy)
- a copy of the police report.
- If you had a courtesy vehicle requested as part of your insurance cover, one will be made available to you.
- What happens next: In the event that your stolen vehicle is recovered, you should contact your insurer to let them know that the vehicle has been found, provide them with the police report and the location of the vehicle as well as the condition in which the vehicle was found.
- In the event that your vehicle is recovered: and your insurer has already paid out your stolen vehicle claim, the vehicle now belongs to your insurer. You should call your insurer to discuss how you are required to deliver the vehicle and whether or not you have any other options, such as buying back your vehicle.
As a client of African Independent Brokers, we’re here to assist you every step of the way. Contact one of our friendly consultants or speak to your personal portfolio consultant.
Telephone: 0861 001 002